Our Enrolment Zone

As a new school the Ministry of Education has allocated our school with an explicit zone.

All students who permanently reside in the school zone (as per the zone map below) have automatic right to attend Te Ao Mārama School. This is determined on the sighting of two valid documents as proof of address. All documents must be current and dated within the month of your child starting school.

Should you meet all of the criteria above please follow the instructions below to complete an online enrolment application.

Search school zone by address

Home Zone Description

The home-zone commences at the intersection of River Road and Kay Road. The zone boundary heads east along Kay Road to Resolution Drive (includes Oaktree Lane), then turns south along Resolution Drive to the intersection with Borman Road.

From the Borman Road-Resolution Drive intersection, the boundary heads west between Cumberland Drive and Tuirangi Street and then turns south at the end of Tuirangi Street to intersect at Magellan Rise opposite the storm-water pond (numbers greater than, and including, 31, 32 and 33 Magellan Rise are in zone). All of Cumberland Drive is in zone and Tuirangi Drive is not in zone.

From the storm-water pond, the zone boundary then follows the line of the gully (Te Awa o Katapaki Stream) north of Riverlinks Lane to the River Road-Kay Road intersection where the boundary commenced. Riverlinks Lane is not in zone.

Both sides of the in-zone roads above are included unless otherwise stated.

Enrolment Scheme

The Education Act 1989 gives a guarantee of enrolment to students who live in the home zone specified in the school’s enrolment scheme. The board needs to be sure that an in-zone address is genuine, because it is required to manage the enrolment scheme for the benefit of local students.

The address given at the time of application for enrolment must be the student’s usual place of residence when the school is open for instruction. This means that if you currently live at an in-zone address but move to an out-of-zone address before your child’s first day of attendance at the school, your child will not be entitled to enrol at the school.

The Ministry of Education has advised that parents should also be warned of the possible consequences of deliberately attempting to gain enrolment by knowingly giving a false address or making an in-zone living arrangement that they intend to be only temporary e.g:

• renting accommodation in-zone on a short-term basis;
  • arranging temporary board in-zone with a relative or family friend;
  • using the in-zone address of a relative or friend as an “address of convenience”, with no intention to live there on an ongoing basis.

Before enrolment takes place (i.e. before attendance begins), if the board has reasonable grounds for believing that the given in-zone address will not be not a genuine, ongoing living arrangement, the board may withdraw any offer of a place it might have made on the basis of the given address.

After attendance has begun, if the school learns that a student is no longer living at the in- zone address given at the time of application for enrolment and has reasonable grounds to believe that a temporary in-zone residence has been used for the purpose of gaining enrolment at the school, then the board may review the enrolment. Unless the parents can give a satisfactory explanation, the board may annul the enrolment. This course of action is provided for under section 11OA of the Education Act 1989.